Smartwatches are necessary gear for all athletes and armatures alike. They can help people track different aspects of their training and exercise. Smartwatches are especially needed by professional athletes who need to analyze their performance constantly.
There are various smartwatches present in the market which offers specific features that focus on a specific sport such as hiking smartwatches. The features in hiking smartwatches are completely different from features present in a triathletes’ smartwatch. You should look for the following features when buying a hiking smartwatch.
- Altimeter: An altimeter calculates the attitude of the hiker. This is a necessary feature in all hiking smartwatches since it can tell how high above the sea level a hiker is.
If you get lost in the mountains or loose sense of direction, you can locate yourself on a map by using an altimeter. The altimeters that works on GPS data are far more accurate than barometric altimeters.
- Barometer: A barometer is also necessary in smartwatches for hiking because it measures the atmospheric pressure on the mountain. The air pressure decrease as we go up in the mountains which makes it harder to breath.
A hiker should be aware of barometric pressure at all times since not knowing it, can be life threatening. Hiking smartwatches can also show the data in graphs to make it easier for the hiker to understand. With the help of a barometer, a smartwatch can trigger a storm warning as well.
- Compass: A compass lets you know the four basic directions. It is important for hikers because they can loose sense of direction in bad weather and lack of visibility. A compass makes it easier to navigate through the mountains and it is a must have feature in hiking smartwatches.
- GPS System: All smartwatches should have a built-in GPS system, especially hiking smartwatches. It is necessary for navigation and route mapping that allows hikers to coordinate with their current location and also provides other GPS related information like current speed, distance, total ascent and descent. Some smartwatches support GLONASS navigation as well.
- Solar Battery: Smartwatches for hiking should run on solar batteries since hikers spend most of their time outside where there is no electricity. That’s why electrically charged smartwatches are completely out of the question for hiking.
Solar powered smartwatches, on the other hand, can last up to 6 months without seeing the sun. This makes them the perfect choice for hikers who often encounter bad weather. Smartwatches that work on Lithium ion batteries are also a good option.
- Heart Rate Monitor: A heart rate monitor is also an important feature in hiking smartwatches because it allows you to maintain a steady pace without overexerting your heart. Hikers should keep their hear rate normal because irregular heartbeat rate is dangerous especially on high altitudes.
Make sure to research thoroughly before buying a hiking smartwatch.
Here’s an awesome reviews for various smartwatches present online. But there is one watch that is currently the most wanted smartwatch on every athletes list. If you want to buy the best smartwatch that has all the above mentioned features, then Garmin Fenix 5 should be your only option.
Garmin Fenix 5
The new Garmin Fenix 5 is perfect for professional hikers, skiers and mountaineers. It has a lot of advanced features for route mapping and navigation that makes it stand out from other smartwatches. However, these complex functions can be a down side as well because it makes it difficult to operate the watch.
- It has Altimeter, Barometer, Compass as well as GPS support. It also supports GLONASS. You can get detailed information about your current location and surroundings
- It offers smartphone synchronization. You can get alerts and notifications on your smartphone. Also, answer texts, calls and emails through the smartwatch.
- It comes in elegant designs and colors which you can customize according to your preference plus the watch band has a firm grip
- The Garmin Fenix 5 is durable as it is made of stainless steel and sapphire glass
- The smartwatch is water as well as abrasion resistant which makes it ideal for rough trekking and climbing
- The official price is $700 which is reasonable considering all the features this smartwatch has to offer
Finally, I suggest you get your own smartwatch right now if you don’t have one already as there are lots of benefits associated with this type of wristwatch. This website has lots of other good watches you might consider checking out.